Accident, Sickness and Unemployment Insurance - FAQ about ASU. ASU stands for Accident, Sickness and Unemployment Insurance. MPPI stands for Mortgage Payment Protection Insurance.

FCA regulates mortgages, remortgages and loans in the UK. Save On Mortgages is a trading style of Save On Limited who are regulated by the FCA.
FCA Register
No. 301774
Data Protection Act Reg: Z8335663
Licensed Credit Broker: 544860

Site Map

Accident, Sickness and Unemployment - ASU (Frequently Asked Questions)

Please note these are general guides to insurance and do not constitute provision of advice or indicate that a particular product is appropriate for you. Benefits, conditions and exclusions vary from one Accident, Sickness and Unemployment insurance policy to another and you should always check the ASU policy summary and policy document to make sure that you understand what you are buying. If you have any questions please talk to your insurance broker.

What is ASU or MPPI? ASU stands for Accident, Sickness and Unemployment insurance. MPPI stands for Mortgage Payment Protection Insurance. They are generally regarded to be the same thing. If you are unable to work due to an accident, suffer a period of sickness or hospitalisation, become unemployed or be unable to continue your business if you are self-employed, the policy will pay out to cover your monthly outgoings for up to 24 months.

Am I eligible for cover? Cover is normally available to you if you: have been in continuous employment for the 6 months immediately prior to the start date, are aged between 18 and 64 inclusive, are permanently resident in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man and are not aware of any impending unemployment.

Can my spouse and I have a joint policy? Yes. A joint policy application can be made and the cover will be directly proportionate to your income splits. For example, monthly outgoings are 1,000 with the primary earner having salary of 50,000 and the secondary earner 25,000. The joint policy would be split giving the primary earner 660 of cover and the secondary earner 340.

Are there any restrictions to the number of claims I can make? There are no limits to the number of times you can claim. Each claim, however, will normally be subject to expiry of the Waiting Period and at least 6 months continuous employment.

If I have to make a claim when would I receive payments? This varies enormously from one contract to another and is often the source of much confusion. Our advice is to ensure that any policy you purchase has "back to day 1 cover". This means that you will receive your payment at the end of the month from when the loss occurs. In the case of Accident, Sickness or Loss of Employment, your first payment will therefore be made on the 31st day following the day you are first prevented from working. This is obviously the best because you would receive a payment when you would normally be receiving your salary, so you won't run into problems paying your mortgage or other expenses. Some polices give you an option called a deferment period. This means that your payments are delayed for say 30 or 60 days. If you choose one of these policies it would mean that the first payment won't arrive until 30 to 60 days after you are prevented from working, and even then you may have to wait until the end of the month. This can cause serious (although temporary) financial hardship.

mortgage payment protection - remove the fear of repossession due to accident, sickness or redundancy


Compare Insurance from a wide range of insures including: AXA, Zurich, Cornhill, Fortis etc. for all your Buildings and Contents Insurance, Pet Insurance, Mortgage Payment Protection and Travel Insurance needs.

home insurance - buildings and contents insurance

pet insurance for protection against vets bills

mortgage payment protection - remove the fear of repossession due to accident, sickness or redundancy

travel insurance - don't let the unpredictable spoil your holiday like delays, lost baggage or stolen property


All quotes are free and you are under no obligation to proceed further
Whatever we do for you, we will not charge YOU a fee for our services !

Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, Save On Mortgages is a trading style of Save On Limited

Home insurance, also known as Household insurance or Buildings and Contents insurance, provides protection against loss or damage of your property. Protecting this investment against fire, flood, theft and other risks is essential to ensure that you have the necessary financial assistance available, so that you can carry on with life.